Certificate Course In Food Preservation And Processing
Preamble: This programme was designed to make students skilled in the field of food preservation and processing. The main aim of food preservation is to minimize the growth of microorganisms during the storage period, thus promoting longer shelf life and reduced hazard from eating the food. Fruit and vegetables are an important supplement to the human diet ass they provide the essential minerals and vitamins and fibre required for maintaining health. For various reasons, this abundance of production is not fully utilized and about 25-30% of it is wasted due to spoilage. Two approaches are possible for solving this problem. One is the creation/expansion of cold storage facilities in the fruit and vegetable producing regions themselves, as also in the major urban consumption centres, to ensure supply of fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the year. Another approach is to process the fruits and vegetables into various products that could be preserved for a long time, and add to the value of the product. With increasing urbanization, rise in middleclass purchasing power, change in food habits and the dying out of the practice of making preserve in individual homes, i.e. dehydrated foods, pickles etc. in the domestic market. Moreover, there is considerable demand for some of these products in foreign markets e.g. Mangoes both fresh and canned, fruit juices, salted cashew and good foreign exchanges. After successful completion of this course, the students will acquire basic concept and application food preservation.
- Objective ( In terms of Educational & career outcome)
The programme will enhance knowledge on basic concept and application of food preservation. Students will be made skilled via providing hands on training on various preservation techniques. Course also include presentation programme where in students will be provided a platform to express their ideas and work done related to food preservation and processing. Final assessment of students will be done through written practical examination followed by oral presentation. Career Opportunities include:
- Wage Employment
- as a Technical Specialist in Food Industry
- Pickling Unit
- Self Employment
- Establishing a home scale unit of Food Preservation
- Cottage Industry
- Small Scale Industry
- Large Scale Industry
Realizing the need and importance of the programme the following objectives have been proposed:
- To impart knowledge on the technical skills in various aspects of food processing and preservation with respect to fruits and vegetables.
- To inculcate the students to work in a hygienic way and maintain sanitation.
- To provide an employment potential in food processing and preservation /self-employment.
- Programme description
Food processing is done by the application of techniques and methods to transform the raw ingredients into food that is fit for consumption. There is a great scope of the processing of fruits and vegetables. The lack of knowledge and understanding of food processing and preservation is a major challenge faced by our economy. The chief reason to apply preservation techniques to food is to increase its shelf life, reduce wastage and enhance the rate of production that quality food be available for all. The food processing and preservation is required to be taken seriously to maintain the marketing quality of the Indian food products.
Thus realizing the need for trained and skilled individuals and application of latest techniques for food processing, we have brought this course to develop individuals to meet the challenges of the present and future.
- Principles of food preservation. Definition of food spoiling and food preservation, importance of Food preservation. History and scope of fruit and vegetables industry, its growth and development.
- Methods of food preservation. Different methods used in the preservation of food i.e. high concentration of sugar, pickling, dehydration etc. Principles involved merits and demerits.
- Preservation by low temperature. Methods involved in preservation of food by low temperature.
- Preservation by high temperature. Definition of processing, canning, autoclaving.
- Preservation by preservatives. Objectives, principles, types of preservatives. Chemical preservative used in preservation of food, their Role and function, reaction.
- Preservation by high osmotic pressure. Pickling, salting, curing – principles.
- Preservation by dehydration. Objectives and principles of dehydration. Steps in process of dehydration.
- Containers used for storage – Glass, tin, polythene, vacuum, modified atmospheric packaging advantages and disadvantages.
- Definition of spoilage, types of spoilage, factors affecting growth of microorganisms.
Student Minimum Qualification: 12th passed in any stream.
Duration of course: Three months (Total 60 hours)
Cycle of Admission with dates- Twice in a year
Study pattern (hours of Theory sessions, Hours of Practical/ Field work) – (Total 60 hours)
Pattern of examination and evaluation- Evaluation scheme of Examination
Certificate course in Chemistry: Basic concept and application
|S. No.||COURSE||MAXIMUM MARKS|
|3.||Practical and Viva-voce||50|
Grading and certificate- Grading System is done for evaluation where;
A+ 90 – 100
A 80 – 90
B+ 70 – 80
B 60 – 70
C+ 40 – 60
C Below 40 (Fail)
- Financial resources and instructional facilities-Self financed and lab facility with required equipments.
- Faculty Minimum Qualification (Attach curricula vitae of Members involved in teaching)-M.Sc. in Chemistry with 60%.
- Inputs from external agencies- MOU with Vikrant Tradecom Pvt. Ltd., Jabalpur for technical assistance and regular guidance in the form of Student Development Programme and Faculty Development Programme.
- Syllabus prescribed for certificate/diploma/Degree in the Department of Chemistry
Academic session 2018- 2019 and onwards
(Approved by BOS dated 21/07/2018 and by Academic Council meeting dated….)
News & Events
Admission Open for all courses for session 2019-20. click ...
January 29, 2018 S.No Area of Award Name of...
Special ATKT Examination Time Table 2019Special ATKT Examination Time...